There’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread wafting through the house. And when that bread is homemade and made with whole grains, you can be sure you’re enjoying a healthy and satisfying snack. Here’s a delicious and easy-to-follow recipe for homemade whole grain bread.
– 3 cups whole wheat flour
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup oats
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
– 1 1/4 cups warm water
– Optional: seeds like sesame, flax, or sunflower for topping
1. Combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and oats in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
2. Add the honey, olive oil, salt, and yeast to the bowl. Mix again.
3. Slowly add the warm water to the mixture and continue to mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
4. After a few minutes of mixing by hand or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, your dough should become one smooth, tough, and lightly sticky mass. At this point, the dough is ready to be kneaded.
5. If you are using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook and knead the dough for about 8 minutes. Alternatively, you can knead the dough by hand on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. The dough should feel elastic and spring back when poked.
6. Oil a clean mixing bowl and place the dough inside. Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap and leave it in a warm, draft-free place to rise for about an hour or until it has doubled in size.
7. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
8. After the dough has risen, punch it down and knead it for a few more minutes.
9. Form it into a loaf shape and place it in a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
10. Brush the top of the loaf with water and sprinkle any desired seeds over the top.
11. Bake the bread in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the bread is fully cooked and golden brown. If you have a food thermometer, the internal temperature of the bread should be 190°F.
12. Once the bread is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing.
This homemade whole grain bread recipe is perfect for slicing up and serving with a variety of toppings, from butter or jam to hummus and veggies. It’s a great way to enjoy a healthy snack that’s full of fiber, protein, and complex carbohydrates. Give it a try and enjoy the delicious and satisfying taste of homemade bread.